Top Five Things a New Teacher Should Know About Teaching Vocabulary
- Spend time with the 4,000 Core Academic Vocabulary words. These words are essential for academic success and students should master these words, thus instructional time must be spent on these words.
- Direct instructional time should be spent on vocabulary words related to content subject areas (science, math, social studies, etc.).
- Provide students with opportunities to work with new vocabulary words through cloze passages and question and answer format for both practice and assessment.
- Brainstorm synonyms and antonyms for new vocabulary words as a group.
- Teach students strategies for generating meaning for unknown words (context clues, dictionary use, etc.).